Supporting Healthy Sleep Habits
Sleep is a natural state which our body unconsciously seeks out to regroup, recharge and restart itself. So why do so many of us, particularly moms, have so much trouble with it?
Here are some of the factors which might affect your sleep:
- Young children that wake during the night
- Health Concerns (our own or a loved one’s, especially high during the pandemic and affecting everyone across all ages)
- Your partner's snoring
- Finances/work related stress
- Digestive issues or specific food/drinks in your diet
- Lack of movement or throughout the day
- Too much screen time
- Feelings of nervousness or overwhelm
- Information overload (with Social Media as huge culprit)
Lack of sleep can affect your mindset and balance, your cognitive decision making, and your energy level. On a cellular level unproductive sleep can affect all of our body's biological functions. The severity of it is correlated to the number of hours or days/weeks/years we have gone by without sleep. No wonder prolonged lack of sleep is still considered to be the most effective form of torture!
Here are some steps you can take before going to bed to improve your sleep:
- No caffeine after 3pm
- Have a light dinner before 7pm
- Go for a walk after dinner
- Take a calming bath before bed
- Drink a relaxing tea like Chamomile
- Try using a sound machine
- Do some yoga or meditation to help you wind down
- Read a book before bed
- Use a sleep mask to help block the light
- Take a magnesium supplement at bedtime
- Try passionflower to help reduce those running thoughts.
Passionflower is an herbal supplement that helps calm the mind and gives our bodies a break to find that natural state of sleep. It has no rebound effect and does not cause dependency. Personally, I have been using Pascoflair from Pascoe and I find it to be extremely effective!
Check Pascoe.ca for details and order online with your Healthy Moms Discount. Also available in-store at our Healthy Moms Market in the Junction.